What is a booster seat?
Vehicle seat belt is not suitable for children yet, and it is suitable for an adult at least 136cm and above. For this, you will need a booster seat to help the children seated in the car with a booster seat.
What is the function of a booster seat?
The complete name for a booster seat is “Belt Positioning Booster Seat”, the first 2 words of the name have mentioned the functions of a booster seat – belt positioning. As mentioned, a vehicle belt is not suitable for children, and a booster seat helps to position the vehicle belt correctly and safely on the children.
How can a booster seat protect my child?
Booster seats help to position the vehicle belt at the correct and safe place for the children. Without a booster seat, the vehicle belt will be positioned at the child’s stomach and neck. A booster seat helps to position the belt at the pelvic bone for the lap part and correctly on the shoulder part’s collar bone.
What is the best age to use a booster seat?
Based on product usage, the recommended weight for a booster seat is from 15kg to 36kg. There are 2 different types of booster seats in the market. High Back Booster or Backless Booster. For backless booster, old standards are from 15-36kg, but the current standards from 2017 onwards stated that it is recommended for 22-36kg and must be at least 125cm and above.
For the BEST recommended usage, you are advised to put your child on a booster when they are 4 years old, 18kg and above.
There is another type of booster seat called Combination booster seat; this type of booster seat is usually recommended for 9-36kg. It comes with a suitable harness for up to 18 kg, and you need to remove the harness later to convert it into a booster seat.
How do I choose a booster seat in Malaysia?
In Malaysia, car seats are recommended to have a QR Code to help parents choose a car seat. It is recommended that you use the QR Code to know which car seat is suitable for your child based on the recommended weight or height.
Most ECE R44 car seats are based on weight recommendations, and ECE R129 is based on height supported by weight and age. You can get these info by scan the QR Code on the car seat you plan to purchase.
From our understanding, the Malaysian government suggested only ECE R44 and ECE R129 car seats in Malaysia. Other standards of car seats are not recommended and not allowed. It will be considered illegal or used at your own risk when you purchase other car seat standards that are not in the government guidelines.
Which is the best booster seat?
6. Safety 1st Zeu 4 Booster Seat
Safety 1st is from the United States. However, most of their ECE car seats do not seem to meet the US standard car seat’s quality and standard. This Zeu 4 booster seat can be converted to a backless booster which can signify that old standards and new standards booster seat do not have this feature anymore. It is one of the international booster seats below RM400 that parents can consider due to its brand. This car seat’s most popular features are its slim design and include a removable cup holder.
- Convertible into a backless booster cushion
- Easy adjustable 6 position headrest
- Narrow yet comfortable seat
- Easy to remove, machine washable trim
- Comes with a removable cup holder
- Simple installation belt path
- Armrests for child’s comfort
- Certified to ECE R44 / MIROS Approved
- Lightweight at 3.3 kg
5. Koopers Snug+ Booster seat
- ECE R44/04 approved
- Suitable for Group II, III (15g-36kg)
- Highback booster seat
- 5 levels of headrest adjustment
- Additional seatbelt pad
- Cup holder included
- 4 years warranty
- Applicable for 1-to-1 Crashed Exchange Program
4. Graco Junior Maxi Booster Seat
Graco is a United States brand car seat, but they also have Europe standard car seat. ANd this Graco Maxi Junior booster seat is one popular due to the slim design suitable for compact vehicle and space savings. The least popular part about this booster seat is that the padding is thinner than other booster seats.
- For a big kid from 15-36kg (approx. 4 to 12 years)
- Lightweight highback booster
- One-hand, adjustable headrest
- Height adjustable armrests
- Full coverage back support
- Machine washable covers
- EPS, energy-absorbing foam for effective impact energy management
3. Koopers Nex+ Booster Seat
Koopers is a famous Malaysian brand. Many parents love their products for the extended warranty periods and 1-to-1 crash exchange program. The Koopers Nex+ booster seat is popular because it is among the booster seats that allows you to recline the booster seat with 4 reclining positions. It has very padded and comfortable padding for the child to sit longer on the booster seat.
- 4 smooth and easy recline positions
- Multi-level adjustable headrest for protection
- Soft fabric for extra comfort
- Removable fabric for cleaning
- Entitled for Koopers 1-to-1 Crashed Exchange Program
- 4 years warranty on manufacturing defect
2. Quinton Vsana IFix Booster Seat
Quinton is a Malaysian brand. Quinton Vsana booster seat is among the most padded and one of the best features is that the car seat size can expand when the car seat headrest is being pulled up. This feature will make the car seat wider for a bigger child. The only thing about the car seat is that it does not come with a cup holder. It has a Quinton 1-to-1 Crash Exchange Program covering the car for exchange when you meet with an accident.
- I-Fix system (Isofit Installation)
- Dedicated safety & convenience
- ECE R44.04
- H-guard system
- Side protect system
- Duo expand system
- Seat Belt guides
- Ergonomic armrests (increase safety)
- Soft-padding softy headrest
- Soft seat cushion
- Easy to maintenance and care
- Breathable fabric material
1. Joie Trillo / Joie Trillo LX / Joie Trillo LFC Booster Seat
Joie is the United Kingdom registered brand. It was sold in more than 80 countries all over the world. This Joie Trillo is the cheapest and most affordable booster seat but does not sacrifice the quality and safety. It comes with a 2 tuckaway cup holder that you can keep when not in use. The padding is padded, and the fabrics are soft and comfortable for children. It also comes with side impact protection for extra protection during a side collision. It includes ISOSAFE connectors that secure the seat when a child is not seated on the child seat.
- Group 2/3 car seat
- Suitable forward facing from 15-36kg
- Side impact protection
- One-hand, 7 position height adjustable headrest
- Breathable fabrics
- Removable, machine washable covers
- Padded armrests
- 2 tuckaway cupholders
- Well-marked, colour-coded installation paths
- ISOSAFE connectors
There are many types of booster chairs in Malaysia. These are the one that has obtained QR Code and are reputable brands of booster seats that parents can look for, and the price is below RM400.00. If you look for the backless booster seat or another standard car seat, it will be discussed in another article.